Baked Ziti is one of my Italian favorites, so when I found this lower fat, lower calorie version I just had to try it. It came out really good. This is another recipe from Gina's blog, her stuff is fantastic. My girls and husband both loved this. Also, if you can't find ziti you can easily substitute penne pasta or ritioni. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1/8th
Fat: 7.1 g
Protein: 17.5 g
Carb: 54.7 g
Fiber: 7.8 g
Baked Ziti with Spinach
1 lb high fiber ziti such as Ronzoni Smart Taste
28 oz crushed tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic,minced
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
1 tsp oregano
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
salt and fresh pepper to taste
8 oz fat-free ricotta
1/4 cup Parmesan
2 cups (8 oz) part skim mozzarella
Spray olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375°.Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with oil spray.
2. In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta according to instructions until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, add olive oil and sauté garlic. Add chopped spinach, salt pepper and chopped tomatoes. Season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
4. Add sauce to the pasta and combine the ziti. Add half of the mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and ricotta. Mix well then transfer to the baking pan.
5. Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with the remaining mozzarella.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and the edges are lightly browned.